DIRECTOR OF SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT | PEI WEI, P.F. CHANG’S | Phoenix, AZ | 5/04 – 08/06
Mark was hired to direct food procurement for two high-profile brands: P.F. Chang’s and Pei Wei. He was later promoted to oversee the entire Pei Wei supply chain, where he introduced and led key new food-safety, TQM and total-cost-reduction initiatives.
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS AT P.F. CHANG’S [Corporate owner of over 200 Asian-concept restaurants with over $1 billion revenues]
> Reduced costs
- Reduced food costs by 1-2% by consolidating and leveraging $50-million spend in produce.
- Created and led a task force to improve operational efficiencies with the brand’s signature product, Lettuce Wraps.
> Improved quality and customer satisfaction
- Surveyed internal customers on perceived opportunities in supply-chain management, and translated the data into a tactical-gain plan to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Developed and implemented a “product-quality failure” process, which reduced workers’ compensation claims and improved product quality.
> Implemented process improvements
- Created a Total Quality Management (TQM) system, including: 1) Customized specification standards/procedures; 2) A supplier-development process; 3) Product-quality failure and trace-back process; 4) A web-enabled database.
- Re-engineered the product-lifecycle process, from product intro to field-level communications.